Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hello Kitty Ears tutorial


A long long time ago, well it seems like a long time ago, I made these Hello Kitty ears for my sweet Mara's 4th birthday party.  I wanted to post the tutorial then but things happened and time went by and now here I am three months later.  These are very easy to make and require very few materials.  In my book that makes them a wonderful party accessory.  The party was in January and Mara still to this day wears her ears on occasion when we go out.  Sometimes I forget that she is even wearing them and wonder why so many strangers are smiling and staring.  But who wouldn't smile at that adorable face?  Yes her older sister Marina wears them around the house still too.  I just love my girls.





For these you will need...


Two colors of felt


Headbands 


Hot glue or a very strong adhesive. 

My kitty ear template pattern

In this tutorial I used white felt for the ears and pink for the bow, but really you can use whatever colors you like.  




The very, very first step is to print out my kitty ear template pattern  and cut out each template, then trace the ears onto the white felt with a black marker.  Since I needed six sets of ears I tried to place as many as I could on one sheet of felt.  I think I got about four to five ears per felt sheet. While I was at it I also cut out the two bow template pieces and traced as many as I thought I would need onto the pink felt. I was able to fit all six bows onto one sheet of felt.  Then cut and cut all the felt pieces out.  




The next step is to place the first ear under the headband so that it runs through the middle of the ear.  Don't worry if some of your marker is showing it can be trimmed off later or won't show at all if you make sure it's on the inside.  




Carefully place some hot glue around half of the ear.  Then fold over the other half so that they overlap like so.  Yes I have a little bit of an over hang here but that can be easily fixed with scissors later.  






Once the ears are a little bit cooled scribble a line of hot glue on the bottom of the ear and place the Bow1 felt piece on top of it.  






Lastly dab a dot of hot glue to the middle of the Bow1 piece and then stick the Bow2 circle to it.  So it looks like this.  In the end you should have something that looks like this...




The hot glue makes these ears very durable and the stand up with no problem.  I paid more for the headbands than I did for the felt so they are very economical too.  In the end I did add some sparkly jewels that I had lying around to give them a little Bling. So that ends my tutorial on how to make felt Hello Kitty ears.  I hope you have a wonderfully Kittylicious day.






Sunny Kitty

16 comments:

  1. Hi! I have been searching all over for a very easy tutorial to make these hello kitty ears...yours is the best that i've found. Thank you!!! I'm not crafty at all, but I wanted to try to make these for my daughters 4th birthday coming up and I think I can now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found me then. If you have any questions let me know. I made them for my daughter's 4th Birthday as well. I guess Hello Kitty and 4 just go together.

      Delete
  2. I made them!!!! Tricky part for me was the glue gun and getting the ear over but not that hard...they look great and my daughter loves them! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you like them. Yes the folding part is a bit hard and I always burn my fingers. I also always have to trim them a bit when I'm done. But these will last forever. My girls still wear them (sometimes to the store) and our party was in January.

      Delete
  3. I'm planning for a Hello Kitty party this weekend, my daughter is also turning 4, this was very helpful...You are really Godsend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. I'm sure the party will be a big hit with those adorable kitty ears running around.

      Delete
  4. Thank you soo much for posting this!! I just made them for my daughter's 4th birthday party! And I wanted to add that the dollar store has 6 headbands for a $1.00, so I made 12 headbands for under $5.00!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was helpful. We don't have dollar stores here in Germany so I'm a little jealous that you found the headbands for so cheap.

      Delete
  5. adorables... mais j'ai l'idée d'une petite "amélioration" (après, il faudra voir la réalisation : ce n'est pas toujours le plus simple !) : coudre, plutôt que coller, peut-être en glissant au milieu un peu de ouatine... en tout cas, pour le nœud, c'est ce que je vais faire : le réaliser en tissu (peut-être un peu satiné), avec un peu de rembourrage pour lui donner un aspect plus "rond"... dès que mes "essais" seront terminés, voulez-vous les photos ?... en tout cas, l'idée de base et les gabarits me seront très utiles, et c'est aussi un peu le principe de nos blogs : offrir nos idées pour que chacun en fasse quelque chose à sa façon !... merci pour le partage : j'adore toutes vos créations !...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I translated this right I would love to see pictures. Supplies are very limited where I live in Germany so satin wasn't available for me. Felt is also very cheap and I had a lot of girls so keeping it cheap was important. I would love to see how you embellish on this idea, that's what it is for anyway.

      Delete
  6. I'll be doing these as a craft for my daughters 6th (we seem to be late on hello kitty lol) birthday party this weekend! Thank you for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are never too old for Hello Kitty:) My girls are still playing with their ears a year later.

      Delete
  7. this is awesome! i saw these on pinterest and i thouht they would be soo cute and the link sent me to an etsy page asking $80 for a pack of 10! now i can just make them myself for WAY less:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG yes!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!! My daughters 3rd birthday is next month and its Hello Kitty. I wanted to buy kitty ear headbands but they are all way too expensive. I love this idea, and that its handmade!! Thank you so much for this, I can't wait to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this! I'm going to be Hello Kitty for Halloween and I needed some ears. These will be purrfect! ; )

    ReplyDelete

Of course I would love to hear your comments and thanks for dropping by.