Monday, April 14, 2014

Painted Easter Eggs


Every year I love to color Easter eggs.  Sometimes I think I love it more than my kids do. We always dye some eggs but I like to try new things and experiment with different techniques. This year we decided to do painted eggs and doodle eggs with markers. I also tried blowing out the yoke on some of the eggs in the hopes  I could keep them for Easters to come.  Thank goodness it worked and I really love our painted eggs. 

Before we started I hard boiled a dozen eggs for dying and doodling on with markers. Then I blew out the yoke on a dozen eggs that I planned to use for painting.  Blowing out the egg yoke can be a tricky business and may take some practice.  It took me several tries before I stopped breaking the eggshells. 

I found two very helpful tutorials on how to blow out an egg at Our Best Bites and Creek Line House.  Since I couldn't find a paper clip I used a toothpick to break up the yoke similar to the directions on Creek Line House.  I do advise doing these in advance.  You get light headed pretty easy when huffing and puffing trying to get the yoke out.  So I usually could only do 4 to 6 eggs at a time. 

Once all of the eggs were ready we started with doodling on some of the white hard boiled eggs. I highly recommend covering your work surface with newspaper or craft paper to keep any drips or drops from getting on the table. 


I found some Sharpie markers in beautiful pastel colors at Office Depot. It's important to use permanent markers to keep the colors from running or smudging while handling. These worked perfectly and were very bright and colorful. 






Next we painted our hollow blown out egg shells with colorful craft paint.  The leftover egg carton was perfect for storing the paints.  I just filled each little well with a different color. 



If you look closely I also used an over turned egg carton for the drying rack.  I was all about recycling today. 







After my girls were done with their eggs it was my turn to play. 



I had so much fun painting eggs I could have done it all day.  What I love most is that I can store them in an egg carton and bring them out again next year.  If I'm feeling really brave I might even try to string some ribbon through them for hanging.  But for now these are super cute the way they are.   


I hope you have a very Happy Easter.  

~Sunny~

Credits:
Photography: Sunny Duran
Ceramic Berry baskets: Michael's
Pastel Sharpie's: Office Depot 



2 comments:

Of course I would love to hear your comments and thanks for dropping by.