Monday, October 22, 2012

He or She gender reveal party.



He or she - what will it be?  I recently attended my first gender reveal party for this lovely lady right here.  Lips and mustaches helped us pick a side and cast our votes for a girl or a boy.  

If you don't know what a gender reveal party is, no worries, just read on.

A few days ago I got a call from my friend Laura asking me to help with a gender reveal party for our friend Jennessa.  Yes, I've heard of these parties but no, I've never actually attended one.  To plan a party in a few days is crazy but we were keeping it simple and as always you have to be flexible with a husband in the military. 

Jennessa's husband is in the Air Force and was unable to go to that oh-so-important doctor's appointment.  Laura was at the appointment and convinced the-mother-to be to close her eyes when the doctor revealed the baby's gender.  She thought it would be great if both parents could find out the gender of the baby at the same time.  So she became the secret keeper until the big reveal at the party.  A very thoughtful idea but also kind of insane when she realized the only weekend Jennessa's hubby would be available was just a few days away.  Aaak!



We cast our votes at the door on a chalk board.  


The happy couple got to wear a bow in their team's color, pink or blue.  


I made a banner.


I also made mustaches for the straws for the team "He" folks. 



Then lips for the team "She" folks. 


The cake was the key.  I hid a surprise inside to let them know if it was a boy or a girl.  


Then they cut the cake together and...


Tadaaaa!!!



It's a boy!



Team "He" is the winner.  Yes, Jennessa picked the wrong team but I don't blame her since she already has two boys.  Well, there's always next time. 


I found the tutorial for this cake at i am baker, a really amazing blog with beautiful cakes and confections.  She's one of my idols and my cake is not even in the same league,  but it worked and accomplished it's purpose so I'm happy.  I did not use her recipe which is probably why mine is not as beautiful.  I substituted my own and it worked okay.  I will definitely be trying this one again. 

 Congratulations Jennessa and Aaron on your baby boy! 

~Sunny~

Credits

Surprise inside cake tutorial i am baker.net
Photography, printables and cake Sunny by Design





2 comments:

Of course I would love to hear your comments and thanks for dropping by.